The weather has been such a joy that I enjoy strolling to the bottom of the garden to feed the chickens at lunch time. I was very disappointed this morning to find that my glaze firing was on the dry side. After all Hannah's troubles with firing I could hardly believe my eyes. I had a lot of trouble with my glaze when I bought my new kiln and in the end as I couldn't solve the problem I changed glazes. I have been very pleased with the new glaze even though I have been fine tuning the colour achieved through the glaze and the colour I add to the slip. My slip is quite cream as I add some of the clay body to it and some stain.
Anyway.I was so pleased with the glaze I decided would mix up an extra large amount! So last week between other things I mixed a whole load more glaze. Although I stuck to my glaze recipe I used raw materials from a different supplier. The most likely thing is that I have mixed the glaze wrongly (unlikely) or that the raw materials were poor. As soon as I can I will go to my usual supplier-Clay Cellar, in Kent-get a new batch of materials and start all over. At this stage I can't afford to loose any work
As I have been decorating all week I thought I would show my favourite tools. From the left they are-tooth pics, a hair grip, pencil, nail set in a wooden dowel, metal modelling tool, brush and felt tip pen.Whew. I'm keeping an eye on Ron's sgraffito work it looks so lively and spontaneous. I must try and do some more fun stuff.
Mold Making Intrigue! - Another go at this really fast way of making a mold. This time I made sure to have enough clay at the bottom so I could cast the second part without trou...
12 hours ago